PC Doctor August 15, 2014

Have your computer questions answered here! Search the PC Doctor archive or submit a question of your own at info@athollibrary.org

Dear PC Doctor:

I just spent a long time working on a document. It’s 50 pages.  I just found out I spelled someone’s name wrong in it every time.  I could read through and type it correctly every time, but I’m afraid I’ll miss one.  This is an important paper.  Is there an easy way to make sure I find every instance of the misspelled word so I can correct it?

      Thanks, Rob


Dear Rob:

Hasn’t this happened to all of us!

If you’re working in Microsoft Word, there’s actually an easy-to-use keyboard command you can use.  It’s as simple as “Control-F.” “Control” means the key on the lower left-hand side of your keyboard, marked “ctrl.” “F” means, simply, the letter F.

If you hold down the “Ctrl” key and the “F” key at the same time, Windows will give you a dialog box.  At the top of the box, it will say “Find” and “Replace.” Click the “Replace” tab.  In the middle of the box, it will have the words “Find what” and a space in which you can type what you are looking for.  In the “Replace with” box, type the correct spelling.  Then, at the bottom of the box, click “Replace All.” This will find every instance of the misspelled word and replace it with the correct spelling.  So easy!

Until next time…Happy Computing!

      PC Doctor